If you are in immediate danger or require emergency medical assistance, please call 999 immediately and come back to this page at a later stage. This system is not linked to the emergency services.

To spike a drink means to put alcohol or drugs into someone's drink without their knowledge or permission. 

Spiking someone’s drink is a crime. The responsibility and fault is always with the person spiking a drink.  It is never your fault if your drink has been spiked. 

It is important to recognise that for a variety of reasons, you (or a friend) might not want the police informed of the incident. Please note that reporting an incident, will not get you (or your friend who has been spiked) in any trouble, even if recreational drug use has taken place.

Did you know… the most common way to spike someone’s drink is by adding alcohol to a non-alcoholic drink or adding extra to an alcoholic drink. However certain drugs can also be used - these are added to alcohol and act as a powerful sedative. 
Recognising a spiked drink - A drink might have been spiked if: 
  • There are excessive bubbles
  • It is cloudy
  • It tastes strange or different (especially if it’s unusually bitter or salty, don’t finish it)
  • The colour has changed (if it’s lighter, darker or even blue, pour it out immediately)
  • It looks like it has been mixed
  • The ice sinks

Symptoms usually take effect within 15-30 minutes, lasting for several hours. If you, or one of your friends, has any of the following symptoms, you/they might have been spiked: 
  • Feeling that any drinks consumed have had more of an effect than they should have
  • Feeling dizzy, faint or confused
  • Passing out, nausea or vomiting
  • Feeling sleepy or unwell
  • Impaired vision or speech 
  • Feel a sharp or sudden pain (check the affected area for an injection site)

‘I think
my drink has been spiked’ - what to do:

We recognise that if your drink has been spiked you might not be capable of following the steps below.
  • If you are able to, get help straight away: tell someone you trust and get to a safe space.
  • Go to the bar staff and alert them. You can do this by asking for ‘Angela’. They will know you need help and will call you a taxi or help you out discreetly – without drawing attention to it.
  • Do not leave the venue alone or with someone you don’t know or trust.
  • Avoid consuming more alcohol.
  • Call 999 (Emergency Services) or 01223 823333 (Campus Security, if on campus).

We emphasise that the fault is never with the person whose drink is spiked. As a university, we do not tolerate drink spiking or any other incident of sexual misconduct and assault.

Find out more about drink spiking on the Drinkaware website.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened