If you think you are being stalked, and are in danger, please call 999. 

If you think you are being stalked, and are not in immediate danger, then please contact the police on 101 for non - emergency support. 

Here are some tips about what to do if you think you are being stalked:

General Advice and Tips

  • Do not engage with the stalker. 
  • Consider changing your daily routine, the routes you might take or the times you are usually leaving your home or arriving back. 
  • Let people around you know your concerns if you feel able to do so. That might be your family, close friends, campus security, manager at work. 
  • Think about different options for alarms in your home and when you are out and about. 
  • Download SafeZone app. 
  • Safetaxis
  • walking taxis
  • Use an online checklist or risk assessor to help you feel more confident about taking the next steps. These can help identify stalking behaviour and to know what to do next. The Suzy Lamplugh Trust has a good tool you can use.  
  • Always trust your instincts. 

Keep a record  - having details are key.

  • Keep any kind of communications that take place, for example, letters, parcels, text messages, whatsapp and any other form of social media messaging. Take screenshots if you are worried you will not be able to locate them again. If you can, it is helpful to have print outs, and keep all original versions. 
  • Make a diary of the dates and times of all contact and/or incidents 
  • If you think you know who is stalking you, or have an idea, keep notes on what they look like, how they sound, any information such as clothing, registration plates/colour of car. 
  •  Note down telephone numbers, social media handles or names the person is using. 
  • Staffordshire Police with The Suzy Lamplugh Trust have a good tool to keep and record evidence to create a log or diary of the different events and incidents you may be experiencing.  You can find this here

Consider your safety online

  • Check your online presence, and review your settings. 
  • Change passwords regularly, and make sure they are different. 
  • Change your settings on social media and social networking platforms to private. Check the privacy settings you have in place.
  • Report unwanted messaging and contact that takes places on social networks or media to the platform providers. 
  • Check the advice from Get Safe Online


  • Report and Support. Report and Support is the University's online reporting tool that provides direct, confidential help, whilst not immediately triggering a formal complaint.  Students can report an incident using the University‚Äôs Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor, they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. No formal investigation will be triggered without your consent, but you can still access confidential support.
  • University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow.  Further details can be found on the Student Conduct and Complaints page
  • Reporting Anonymously via Crimestoppers. If you are worried about a reporting process, and would prefer to report anonymously, you can report to Crimstoppers. Crimestoppers are an independent charity that gives people the power to speak up and stop crime, 100% anonymously. Crimestoppers will send your report to the local police force. You can find additional information about this here.
  • Need to contact the Police? If you are in immediate danger or are seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile). For non-emergency calls, dial 101.  To find out more information about how Kent Police can support you, please click here

Get Support 

  • Specialist Wellbeing Adviser. During office hours you can speak with the Specialist Wellbeing Adviser (Bullying, Discrimination, Hate Crimes). This is a specialist member of staff who is able to provide practical support and advice to anyone who reports an incident (support available at both Medway and Canterbury). You can book an appointment with the Specialist Wellbeing Adviser (Bullying, Discrimination, Hate Crimes) by emailing KentSSW@kent.ac.uk, or by calling 01227 82 3158 from Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
  • Counselling Service. Students are able to access support from our counselling team within Student Support and Wellbeing.  Counselling offers you a safe space to address the impact that an incident has had upon you.  All counsellors are fully qualified members of BACP, BABCP, or UKCP, and adhere to ethical guidelines.   Counselling can be accessed by emailing us: counselling@kent.ac.uk or medwaycounselling@kent.ac.uk
    Or, you can call us: +44 (01227 823206). If you want to understand our Counselling Service better, see this visual guide (alternative text available).
  • Mental Health and Wellbeing. We have mental Health Advisers, who can offer mental health advice and support if you have found your mental health to be impacted following an incident.  If you feel you need urgent support, please phone 01227 826573 for the Canterbury campus or 01634 888474 for Medway or email KentSSW@kent.ac.uk or MedwaySSW@kent.ac.uk and ask for an on-the-day appointment. We also have a guide to help you understand what happens in a mental health adviser meeting. 
  • Nightline. Call Nightline and speak to a trained student volunteer about anything that may be troubling you. Student volunteers are on hand throughout the night if you just need someone to listen. (20.00-08.00, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday). 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened